The event that prompted the organization of the Fire Company was the fire that destroyed the K.G.E. Hall on Main Street on a night early in February of 1912.
The borough of Mt. Wolf was incorporated August 23, 1910 and was without fire protection until the year 1913. The citizens didn’t realize this until the K.G.E. Hall burnt.
On April 21, 1913, the present Fire Company was charted under the name of Eagle Fire Co. No. 1 of Mt. Wolf Borough.
The first officers of the company consisted of the following:
President - C.J. Eisenhower
Vice President - J.P. Wogan
Financial Secretary - Chas. E. Kohr
Recording Secretary - Earl L. Wolf
Treasurer - A.H. Ness
Trustees - E.F. Rhodes, C.F. Sipe, J.F. Buser
On May 2, 1913, the Fire Company purchased its first hand drawn fire engine plus 1200 feet of 2 ½ inch hose.
We moved into the present building in 1916, which was an old school house.
Since 1913 there was a lot of equipment purchased. In 1921, we became motorized when we purchased a triple combination fire engine from The Waterous Engine Co., mounted on a Ford Truck. This truck was in service for the company until 1938 when a triple combination was mounted on a Reo Fire Truck and Buffalo equipment were purchased.
In 1930 a 5 H.P. fire siren was bought and mounted on top of the fire engine house.
In 1994, we purchased our new engine. It was bought from Darley at a cost of $220,000. Over the years, we did a lot of our own designing and reworking our trucks to save money. In 1981, we decided our 1962 tanker had to be replaced. After a committee was formed they decided to go with a tractor and 3000-gallon trailer. This lasted to the year 2000 when we decided to refurbish our trailer at Snyder’s Truck Center and replace the tractor with a 1995 Tractor. Through the efforts many, this project was completed in February 2000.
We decided that our 1971 Engine needed replaced. After many meetings and long discussions, a decision was made to replace the engine with something like what we had. As a result, we ordered our newest truck from Central States Fire Apparatus. As every fireman wishes to receive a fire truck for Christmas, our new Engine was delivered to us a week before Christmas of 2001. During the winter of 2002-2003 and the big snow storm on President’s Day Weekend, we got much use out of this new addition to our family. Our 4x4 and Class A Foam capabilities came in very handy trying to get to and battling a structure fire on Riverview Drive in East Manchester Township.
In early 2011 it was decided by our members that Eagle Fire Company would replace our 1994 Spartan/Darley engine. A committee was formed with all line officers present as well as a few firefighters. This committee was tasked to design a new structural engine that would lead Eagle Fire Company into the future. In March of 2011, the committee made the final recommendation to the body to approval a contract with KME (Kovatch) to purchase a 2011 Custom KME Rescue/Engine. We took delivery of the new Engine 22 on October 15, 2011. Already the new Engine has seen several working fires and had the opportunity to use its new Class A foam system several times.
In 1932 it was decided to start and organize a lady’s auxiliary to the Eagle Fire Company, which has given valuable assistance in the advancement of the Company. A new kitchen was sponsored and built by the ladies and they also had a part in purchasing the fire engine.
The fire company has done quite a bit of remodeling since 1938. There was a social hall in the basement, which was open to the firemen and their friends.
Around May 1950 the company decided to purchase a new apparatus and make the necessary repairs and additions to the engine house. President W. Z. Eisenhower appointed a committee of 5 men to finance the engine and building and make suggestions as to what type of truck to purchase. In 1951 an F.W.D. Fire Truck was purchased for $12,808. It was a 600-gal. truck with a 300-gal booster tank. The additions and repairs to the building cost approximately $7,000. The new truck arrived in early September 1951.
Our first tank truck was constructed on a 1948 Ford chassis, which served the fire company until 1962. We then purchased a 1962 Ford chassis and transferred our old tank truck equipment to the new chassis.
In 1956, we purchased the adjoining Rhodes property for use of the land. By spring of 1963, it was decided to remove the house and put the land to use as the Fire Company sees fit. In 1957, we replaced our house siren from a five horsepower to a ten-horsepower siren mounted on a 45-foot pole.
In 1963 we had our 50th anniversary banquet. A lot of the older members attended.
In 1971 we decided to purchase a new fire engine, which was another F.W.D. for $37,053. We also purchased a new radio for the chief’s truck and three new monitors.
In 1973 the present engine room was built with four bays and the old engine room was remodeled including the office which is still currently used. Also in this year, there was a motion made that women between the ages of 16 and 65 will be eligible for membership. Between 1973 and 1976 all additions and remodeling were completed.
In Early 2015 the members of Eagle Fire Company voted to become an affiliated station of York Area United Fire and Rescue. This agreement strengthens the current operational commitment and changed the station designation for Eagle Fire Company from Station 22 to Station 89-6. Eagle Fire company has remained an independent, 100% volunteer organization.
We are always looking for better ways to improve our service to our community. Therefore, our company has seen many changes and upgrades to the equipment and tools carried on our apparatus. We are looking forward many more years of community service.